Bayer Landscape Architecture was hired by the current owner of the former Gannett Estate to rehabilitate and restore the Alling S. DeForest designed gardens and grounds once owned by Frank Gannett, internationally known as the founder of Gannett Newspaper. Designed by the architectural firm of Arnold and Stern (Arnold studied under Claude Bragdon) and constructed in 1928, this 10,000 square foot English country revival house is the largest and most important example of this 1920s style within the Rochester region. It is remarkable for its integrity of design and quality of materials and craftsmanship. The house sits visibly prominent within one of the most historically distinguished neighborhoods in the area.
The expansive gardens were originally designed by Alling S. DeForest, the notable Rochester landscape architect whose work includes the famed Eastman House and the nearby Drescher House, among many others. The plans for the garden were meticulously researched and the resulting rehabilitation and landscape architectural design restored many elements of the original formal garden while subtly incorporating 21st century outdoor living needs into this private residence.
Henrietta, New York
Master Planning, Design, Construction Documentation, Construction Administration